Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tempe


Tempe (source)


I remembered a few years ago I’ve ever heard that there were some people from foreign country came to Indonesia specially just to learn how to make tempe. At that time I laughed at that news because I thought it was ‘silly’.

Do people in foreign countries not know what ‘tempe’ is? ‘Tempe’ is a food from soy-bean. The basic ingredient is the same as tofu and soy-sauce. If in foreign
countries they’re familiar with tofu and soy-sauce, why is there no tempe?

However, it turned out that several times I went abroad and spent some time living abroad, I’ve never found tempe in those countries. Except in an Indonesian restaurant, of course. But I was also very rare. Most of the menus in Indonesian restaurant in foreign countries are those which ingredients easy to get or easy to make or of the basic ingredient should be imported from Indonesia, it should be the one that could last pretty long such as ‘terasi’ (shrimp paste).

The making process of tempe needs to be in a particular temperature and humidity. After so, the tempe also need to be kept in a place with particular temperature and humidity that is easy to get in a tropical area such as Indonesia. Maybe that’s why tempe is very rare abroad, moreover in four-seasons countries because the weather and climate there are not suitable for the making process.

It’s a bit sorry for that because tempe is very delicious and high nutrition. Apparently this cheap and common food in Indonesia could also be a precious thing abroad. I don’t know I should be happy or sorry with this fact.

(FK)

0 comments:

Post a Comment