Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Eat with bare hands? Eww..

Maybe that’s what foreigners think when they see us eat with bare hands.

Well, I can’t blame them. We do have difference methods of eating. And manners too.

Talk about manners, Indonesian don’t think eat with bare hands is rude. Even the rich eat with their bare hands. I mean, who would use spoon and fork when we eat fried fish?

Of course we have to make sure our hands clean before we touch our dine. We could do that in a water basin, or, this is what makes us more special, we could just wash our hands in a small bowl filled with water the restaurant served. We call it ‘kobokan’.

I had dinner once with my friend in a local food stall, and we decided to eat fried catfish. As we ate, a bunch of Koreans came and sat beside us. While they were waiting for their foods, I noticed that they were gazing the way we eat. I know, maybe we both looks like some psychotic because we were busy toring the catfish apart with our bare hands...

But it’s not like we Indonesian people don’t respect others manners. Outside, of course we don’t eat with bare hands. We eat with spoon and forks, or maybe chopsticks, for the sake of courtesy. So that people won’t confuse us with barbarians? ^ ^;

However, here in our country, eating with bare hands is common thing to do. I personally like to eat with bare hands. The food tastes much more delicious if I eat it with bare hands! You should try it too! ^ ^

But... I don’t know, some food maybe don’t suit for bare hands eating. I mean... you don’t want to grab some mash potatoes with hands, right? I’m getting sick by only imagining it.

Indonesian eat rice for every day food, so it suits the idea of bare hands eating. Then you should try to eat rice with bare hands, and feel the sensation!

And don’t forget to wash you hand first! ^ ^

[OR]

0 comments:

Post a Comment