Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sega Jamblang


Sega Jamblang with tasty side dishes (source)


One of my favorite local food is sega Jamblang. It’s not in Bahasa, it’s in local dialect. In Bahasa, it’s nasi Jamblang. In English, it’s Jamblang rice. Jamblang is an area where the food originally came from. It’s an area in Cirebon, a small city where I live right now.

So, what’s so special about this food?

Sega Jamblang is Cirebon’s pride. It’s not much, really. It’s just cooked rice with side dishes. But what’s so unique is, we eat the cooked rice not just with a plate, but with teak wood leaves as it’s pad.

That’s right, teak wood as those that commonly used for furenitures. The leaves are as big as adult’s palm, and the texture is kinda off and hairy. So I bet foreigners would think twice before actually eating with it. ^ ^

But for local people, it doesn’t even matter. Personally, I found it kinda... exotic? ^ ^

Yeah anyways, I love eating sega Jamblang. Not mentioning, the side dishes are tasty! There are omelette (although the looks doesn’t even close to the common ones), fried tempe, blekutak (shrimps cooked with its ink), tofu soup, potato satay, scallop satay, croquette, and many more. But my favorite is, the sambal or chili paste. It contains so much chili but it doesn’t taste spicy. On the contrary, it tastes sweet.

However, the side dishes are not nicely arranged on the table. They’re served in a big bowl and for newbies(?) it might seems a little bit messy. But the good thing is, we can take whatever we want from the bowl, and just confess it later at the payment time, after we finished eating.

Yeah, you can take as much as you want and confess less, but it’s only for you criminals. LOL

As I tell you stories about sega Jamblang, I’m getting hungry.

Okay. I think I’m having sega Jamblang for lunch! V^o^V

[OR]

0 comments:

Post a Comment